A tangy and creamy blood orange cream cheese fruit dip makes a perfect appetizer for a winter or Christmas party. Serve as a dessert dip with cookies too.
The area that I live ranks near the top of the list for number of grocery stores per capita. It literally feels like there is a grocery store on every corner. But as a foodie, I’m not complaining because it means I have a huge variety of options and if I can’t find something I’m looking for at one store, there’s a good chance one close by will have it. Within 5 miles of my house there are 6 major grocery chains including Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and a Wegmans (if you’ve ever heard of Wegmans you know that people go completely crazy over them). Add another 2 discount chains and a local market brings the number up to 9 different stores. See what I mean?
I love finding seasonal or out of the ordinary things at the grocery store and on a recent trip to shop for some blog shoots, I ran across some blood oranges. They were not on my list, but I grabbed them because I thought they would be perfect in a fall and winter fruit dip recipe. If you aren’t familiar with blood oranges, they are a special variety of orange that are in season in the US during the late fall and winter months. The blood orange name comes from their very dark flesh which has a distinct flavor compared to the oranges we’re most used to. Want to learn more about blood oranges? Check out this informative blog post.
This blood orange cream cheese fruit dip uses both the blood orange juice and zest and is really easy to whip together. You can make it ahead and just let it chill until ready to serve with your favorite fruit or cookies.
Blood Orange Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup blood orange juice
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp blood orange juice
- 1 tbsp blood orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Add 1/4 cup blood orange juice to the heavy cream and whip until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Using a mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until creamy.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp blood orange juice, zest, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Gently fold whipped cream into the dip.
- Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or until ready to serve.