Make a chocolate dessert cheese ball football dip for the big game! Or shape into a regular round cheese ball for a party anytime of year. Either way, this chocolate dip is sure to please your guests.
This weekend, I spent the better part of a day hanging out and helping out good friends. I love when I get a chance to do this. I went to one friend’s jewelry party while taking a break from our other friend’s wallpaper removal birthday party.
That’s right, for her birthday, her friends and family helped her and her husband remove wallpaper (lots of wallpaper) in their new home. If you’ve never had of the pleasure of removing wallpaper, it can be quite a tedious task. It’s also quite the upper arm workout. Good company, good food and wine make it more enjoyable though and I was happy to help 🙂
Food and friends go hand and hand. And if you’re spending time with friends to watch the big game then this chocolate dip is sure to be a tasty treat for your spread. It’s an easy, make ahead snack. You just need a bit of time to “decorate” your dip right before serving if making it into a cheese ball.
How to make a chocolate dessert cheese ball
Chocolate Football Dip
I used brown M&Ms that I picked up at the party store to coat the dip (you can get them online as well). This would be really cool using M&Ms in your team colors too. I used white M&Ms for the laces. If you can’t find specific color M&Ms in bulk, you could just use chocolate sprinkles, chocolate chips or crushed Oreos. Alternates for the laces are white chocolate chips, mini marshmallows or white icing. If you want to see another M&M cheese ball example, see my peppermint M&M cheese ball.
Regular Chocolate Cheese Ball
If you don’t want to make this into a football, just shape into a normal ball and coat with regular or holiday M&Ms. You could use crushed Oreos or chocolate chips as well.
What to dip in a chocolate dessert cheese ball?
Pretzels are my favorite for a sweet and salty combination. Vanilla wafers, Oreo cookies or graham crackers are other great dipper ideas too.
Chocolate Dessert Cheese Ball Football Dip
- 2 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 7 oz bag brown M&Ms * see notes
- 1 7 oz bag white M&Ms * see notes
- Using a mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth
- Add in cocoa powder and mixture is smooth.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar until well incorporated.
- Place the dip onto a sheet of plastic wrap.
- Shape into a football (or round ball)
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, carefully unwrap cheese ball and place onto a plate or platter. Gently press in M&Ms or your choice of coating. I would start with the laces to make it easier unless you're using icing and then you can add them at the end.