An easy taco dip with meat and cream cheese makes a hearty appetizer that your party guests will love.
Pin this recipe for later
Taco dip is one of the most popular dip recipes out there (right up there with buffalo chicken dip). Since it’s so popular, I haven’t featured a version on this blog yet, but I figured it was about time I post one. Today I’ll tell you how to make a taco dip with meat and cream cheese, but without beans. This taco dip is made with ground beef and adds a slightly different twist with the use of taco sauce instead of the traditional salsa and is served hot. It’s like a taco pizza dip!
Cinco de Mayo is on a Friday this year which makes it perfect for a night out at your favorite Mexican restaurant. I absolutely love Mexican food! That includes all variations like Tex Mex, American Mexican, Mexican Fusion and authentic Mexican. We frequent many “Mexican” restaurants including your typical Americanized Mexican places as well as your hole in the wall authentic taco joint with homemade corn tortillas. I love it all as long as it’s good food!
But if you stay home on Cinco de Mayo or just want a tasty dip for your summer party, then this taco dip recipe will hit the spot.
Tips for making taco dip with meat and cream cheese
Can you make taco dip ahead of time? You can make most of this taco dip ahead of time including the night before. To make ahead, follow all the recipe steps except baking and adding the toppings. Then pop in the oven when you’re ready to serve and then add toppings.
What toppings to use for taco dip? I used lettuce, tomato, and sour cream as toppings for this taco dip, but you can use your favorite toppings. A lot of people like to add sliced, black olives, but I’ve never learned to like them. I like green olives (pickled or fresh), but not black olives…go figure! Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
Need another dip idea for Cinco de Mayo? How about one with tequila? Then try this Crockpot Margarita Chicken Dip.
Now grab a drink, some chips, and enjoy! Cheers everyone!
How to make taco dip with meat and cream cheese (without beans)
Taco Dip with Meat and Cream Cheese
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 8oz block of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 packets taco seasoning (or 3 tbsp homemade taco seasoning)
- 1/4 cup taco sauce (or more if desired)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- additional sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble ground beef. Drain.
- Add water and 1 taco seasoning packet or (2 tbsp homemade seasoning). Simmer for 5 minutes and set aside.
- Using a mixer on medium speed, mix the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in sour cream and 1/2 taco seasoning packet (or 1 tbsp homemade seasoning) and mix to combine.
- Spread cream cheese mixture into a 9 inch pie dish.
- Spread taco sauce over mixture.
- Add crumbled ground beef on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes, and sour cream (or your favorite taco toppings). Serve warm with tortilla chips.
That sounds great, love the presentation too, all light and fresh up top and naughty and indulgent underneath… Excellent 😀
This looks like the perfect food for sharing with family and friends, so ideal for your day of celebrations. Mexican food is such a tasty choice, with some amazing flavours.
What a deliciously colourful dip! This would be very popular with my family!
Wow this looks so tasty! Perfect for sharing with friends!
That sounds so delicious!! Love the fact that the beef is topped with all that cream cheese. My kind of comfort food.
Hi I am planning to make this for a party Saturday. I got all the ingredients including the taco sauce but now that I look at the preparation, I don’t see the taco sauce mentioned. Could you help me out?
Oops! It’s there now!
Just made this! Was so easy and amazing! My husband loved it and my neighbors went crazy over it. Thanks so much for this amazing dip! Will definitely use for party gatherings. It’s wonderful!!!!!