Crock Pot Margarita Chicken Dip is an easy slow cooker chicken dip recipe inspired by the margarita flavors of a lime and tequila. This dip screams warm weather and sitting out on the patio.
Cinco de Mayo is a great day to enjoy some Mexican cuisine, but who really needs an excuse to kick back with a margarita and some tortilla chips? I could do this at least once a week! 🙂
You’ll be able to enjoy this crock pot margarita chicken dip all summer long. It makes a great appetizer for those backyard cookouts and summer gatherings.
If you’d like to continue the Mexican theme, check out this Chile Relleno Dip Recipe.
This crock pot margarita chicken dip is as simple as throwing some ingredients in a crock pot, turning it on, and stirring it a few times. What could be easier?
I do have to give my friend Anne props for coming up with the Pico idea! I made this the first time without it and we both agreed it needed a garnish- the Pico is perfect!
The Pico adds a wonderful pop of color on top of the dip and and compliments the flavors in the dip so nicely.
It is like two dips in one- chicken dip meets salsa!
Step by Step Photos
Step 1: Add the cubed cream cheese in a single layer in the slow cooker
Step 2: Add the shredded chicken
Step 3: Add the remaining ingredients and heat
Serve and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- Time saving ideas: Use a rotisserie chicken and store bought pico de gallo to make this dip even easier. You can also pre-cook and shred your chicken ahead of time.
- Make ahead notes: Simply add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and store in the refrigerator until ready to heat. You can store this way overnight.
- Shred your own cheese if you can: I know this adds an extra step, but I always recommend shredding your own cheese for dips.
Tortilla chips work best. Lime are my favorite. You could also serve with crackers.
Yes, if you would prefer to make without alcohol, you can exclude it. Note: the tequila should evaporate as the dip heats up.
Use your favorite brand or whatever you have on hand. I used Jose Cuervo.
The folks over at Food Should Taste Good sent me a variety of tasty tortilla chips to accompany a Cinco de Mayo themed dip. I served this one with their blue corn, lime, and cantina chips. Food Should Taste Good chips are GMO free and can typically be found in the organic chip section of your local supermarket.
Tortilla chips featured in this blog post were courtesy of Food Should Taste Good. All content and opinions are my own.
Crock Pot Margarita Chicken Dip
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (a rotisserie chicken works well)
- 2 1/2 cups Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Small container of Pico de Gallo (store bought or homemade)
- Cut the cream cheese into small cubes (approximately 1 inch) and layer across the bottom of a medium sized crock pot.
- Spread the shredded chicken over top of the cream cheese and cover with shredded cheese. Add the remaining ingredients to the crock pot.
- Turn the crock pot on high, cover, and heat for about an hour or until the dip is heated through. Stir the dip several times as it is warming up to mix the ingredients together and keep the bottom from browning.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips and top with Pico de Gallo.
One of my favorite dips!!! Can’t wait for summer parties!
omg I love the convenience of crock pot! This dip looks so delicious.
This looks wonderful! I will make it for Super Bowl Sunday! Go Steelers!
Thought this would be a fun dip for girl’s night! Unfortunately, it was not a hit. I used Jose Cuervo Silver. The Tequila and lime created a very sour and bitter aftertaste.
This was sooo good! Thank you Darlene!