Extra cheesy, hot spinach dip made in the slow cooker. This is the spinach dip for cheese lovers!
Everything is better with cheese, right? I think so anyway. There are so many variations on spinach dip, but this is my version which is served warm and made super creamy with lots of cheese and a special ingredient – buttermilk.
Step by Step Photos
Step 1: Add cream cheese cubes, buttermilk and butter to slow cooker
Step 2: Add the chopped spinach
Step 3: Add remaining ingredients
Step 4: Heat on high, stirring occasionally and serve. You can keep this dip warm all party long in your crock pot. You’ll love these other slow cooker dips as well.
Tips and Tricks
- Buttermilk substitute: If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, a workaround is to use milk and white vinegar. For this, you’d use 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 tbsp vinegar.
- Shred your own cheese: This dip is heavy on the cheese and I think shredding your own cheese improves the texture of the dip.
- Add cheese on top: Place dip in an oven safe dish, add even more cheese and broil in the oven until cheese is melted if you’d like that nice cheese layer on top.
I recommend fresh spinach for this recipe, but if you do use frozen, make sure you thaw and drain the extra moisture out of the spinach before using.
Crackers, veggies, chips and bread are all perfect for dipping.
Baguette slices work really well with this. They are substantial enough to hold a good amount of dip. Use a spreader to make it easier to get the dip onto the bread. You can toast the bread to make crostini if you’d like as well to give it some crunch.
Hot Spinach Dip
- 16 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 12 oz fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp cayene
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- couple dashes of hot sauce
- Add cream cheese, buttermilk and butter to slow cooker
- Layer the chopped spinach over the top
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker
- Heat on high for an hour or until dip is warm and creamy. Stir occasionally.