Easy dip recipe inspired by the popular Mexican dish. This Chile Relleno Dip makes a great appetizer for a Cinco de Mayo, potluck, or party.
I love Mexican food and probably have it at least once a week in some form or another. Anything from Chipotle, to Tex Mex, to American Mexican, to authentic Mexican…I enjoy it all!
I’ve never actually been to Mexico so I’d have to say my favorite Mexican meal thus far has been in Houston, TX. I’m on the east coast so we have to make do here, but I take advantage of finding great Mexican places when I’m traveling.
Chile rellenos are one of my favorite Mexican dishes. How can you go wrong with roasted peppers stuffed with gooey, cheesy goodness?
They can be filled other ingredients as well and be topped with various sauces.
Tips and Tricks
Be creative…One of the great things about this recipe is it is very versatile and you can adjust the ingredients to your liking. Use your favorite Mexican sauce, your favorite cheese, or add ingredients like ground beef or sausage if you want.
Don’t skip the roasted peppers...OK, you could make this with canned green chiles and it would still be good. But…I think the fresh roasted peppers really make this dish.
Gas stove or grill: Using medium heat, roast the peppers right on the open flame, turning to char each side. Place charred peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to cool about 15 minutes. Once cool, then the peeling with easily pull off with your hands.
Oven: See these instructions by the Pioneer Women
You can make it as spicy or as mild as you like since most of the spice will come from the sauce that you use. The cream cheese will help to tone down the heat too.
Ranchero sauce is a tomato based sauce used in many Mexican dishes. I made my own using this recipe. You could also substitute your favorite enchilada sauce for the ranchero sauce.
Serve this dip hot from the oven with tortilla chips and enjoy before it disappears!
And if you are looking for another great Mexican inspired dip, you’ll love my Crockpot Margarita Chicken Dip recipe.
Chile Relleno Dip- A Mexican Cream Cheese Dip
- 1 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Anaheim or Poblano peppers
- 1/4 cup Ranchero or enchilada sauce (see note)
- 1 1/4 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- Roast peppers in the oven under a broiler, on a grill, or over a gas burner until all sides are nicely charred. Place peppers in a container and cover with plastic wrap for 10 minutes. Then, remove the skin from the peppers, remove the seeds, and dice peppers. Set aside. See note for additional information on roasting peppers if you’ve never done it before.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a mixer on medium speed, beat together the cream cheese, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne (if using) until well combined and smooth.
- Transfer cream cheese mixture into a small, shallow baking dish or pie plate.
- Spread Ranchero or enchilada sauce over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add chopped peppers and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips.
I love Mexican food! This cheese dip looks and sounds so delicious and perfect for hosting!
That looks like my perfect dip! This wouldn’t last long at a party at our house.
This dip has got my mouth watering, it looks absolutely delicious. Everyone loves a good dip!
This is perfect for serving guests. I’ll be trying this out at our next party.
What a fabulous idea “Chile Relleno Dip” is going to be one of my new potluck recipes! I am always looking for something for work and church get-togethers. I can’t wait to make it, will be back to let you know my outcome. I hope it looks as wonderful as yours.
This is the perfect recipe for football season! I love chile relleno anything!!!
This dip sounds amazing. Might I suggest using Oaxaca cheese, and adding chorizo that has been browned.
Thanks Jeff! Those sound like amazing additions to the dip!
I’M ADDING 1/2 CUP OF CHICKPEAS..MASHED.THANK YOU
I hope you enjoyed it!
Love your enthusiasm for Mexico.
Very good, will make time and again.
Thanks! So happy to hear it turned out great!
This turned out great! I used about half of the enchilada sauce and doubled the peppers! I have a question, why top it with the diced peppers? I just folded them in before baking, topped with the ES and then the cheese. Needless to say I had no leftovers lol my whole family loves Mexican food. Chili Rellenos are a family favorite! So thank you this was delicious!
It’s just more of a personal preference on assembly. Mixing together works great too! I’m so glad you enjoyed this!
I made it for my husband and it was delicious!!! I put some ground beef with the enchilada sauce and the diced roasted peppers; then added the cream cheese and quesadilla cheese. Absolutely a repeater!!