Easy dip recipe inspired by the popular Mexican dish. This Chile Relleno Dip makes a great appetizer for a Cinco de Mayo, potluck, or party.
I love Mexican food and probably have it at least once a week in some form or another. Anything from Chipotle, to Tex Mex, to American Mexican, to authentic Mexican…I enjoy it all!
I’ve never actually been to Mexico so I’d have to say my favorite Mexican meal thus far has been in Houston, TX. I’m on the east coast so we have to make do here, but I take advantage of finding great Mexican places when I’m traveling.
Chile rellenos are one of my favorite Mexican dishes. How can you go wrong with roasted peppers stuffed with gooey, cheesy goodness? They can be filled other ingredients as well and be topped with various sauces.
Tips and Tricks
- Be creative…One of the great things about this recipe is it is very versatile and you can adjust the ingredients to your liking. Use your favorite Mexican sauce, your favorite cheese, or add ingredients like ground beef or sausage if you want.
- Don’t skip the roasted peppers...OK, you could make this with canned green chiles and it would still be good. But…I think the fresh roasted peppers really make this dish.
Gas stove or grill: Using medium heat, roast the peppers right on the open flame, turning to char each side. Place charred peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap to cool about 15 minutes. Once cool, then the peeling with easily pull off with your hands.
Oven: See these instructions by the Pioneer Women
You can make it as spicy or as mild as you like since most of the spice will come from the sauce that you use. The cream cheese will help to tone down the heat too.
Ranchero sauce is a tomato based sauce used in many Mexican dishes. I made my own using this recipe. You could also substitute your favorite enchilada sauce for the ranchero sauce.
Serve this dip hot from the oven with tortilla chips and enjoy before it disappears!
And if you are looking for another great Mexican inspired dip, you’ll love my Crockpot Margarita Chicken Dip recipe.
Chile Relleno Dip- A Mexican Cream Cheese Dip
- 1 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Anaheim or Poblano peppers
- 1/4 cup Ranchero or enchilada sauce (see note)
- 1 1/4 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- Roast peppers in the oven under a broiler, on a grill, or over a gas burner until all sides are nicely charred. Place peppers in a container and cover with plastic wrap for 10 minutes. Then, remove the skin from the peppers, remove the seeds, and dice peppers. Set aside. See note for additional information on roasting peppers if you’ve never done it before.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a mixer on medium speed, beat together the cream cheese, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne (if using) until well combined and smooth.
- Transfer cream cheese mixture into a small, shallow baking dish or pie plate.
- Spread Ranchero or enchilada sauce over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add chopped peppers and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips.