This BBQ Pretzel Football Cheese Ball makes a great football appetizer or game dip for a party and tailgate.
I will talk about today’s BBQ pretzel football cheese ball recipe in a moment, but first, can I say that I’m so OVER cold weather. I just attended what was the coldest football game that I have ever been to.
I know there are colder games, but it was 16 degrees when we parked at the stadium with an even lower wind chill Ya’ll, you see, I don’t do cold! Nope, me and really cold weather do not get along.
I had 2 pairs of leggings on, jeans, leg warmers and boots! Plus just as many layers on top, a hat and gloves. And I was still freezing! What was even worse is that a few days before, the temperature was almost 60 degrees. Totally unfair, lol.
I’ve mentioned it before, but we love tailgating. It’s the whole experience around football that makes it fun for me. We attempted to tailgate as we had a whole group of people and I had a cooler full of food and drinks, but none of us could do it. It was too windy for a lot of my normal tailgate decor and it was way too cold to be enjoyable.
We all got back in our cars to try to stay warm. We all did emerge from the cars in time to devour this warm beer cheese dip that I heated up on our grill. As for the game itself, well, we just won’t talk about that 🙂
I’m snuggled up by my fireplace now and I’ll be here for the rest of the winter, lol. Thankfully, most games I go to are not that cold. Otherwise, I’m watching on TV so I can enjoy some yummy football appetizers like this BBQ Pretzel Football Dip.
I used both BBQ seasoning and BBQ sauce in this cheese ball. You can make your own BBQ seasoning (dry rub) or use your favorite store bought. We buy a local BBQ rub called Sweet N Sassy and my husband and I both love it.
The pretzel coating gives this cheese ball a nice crunch with a little bit of salt. Make you wait to add the pretzels right before serving so that they don’t become soggy.
BBQ Pretzel Football Cheese Ball
- 2 blocks cream cheese, softened
- 4 tsp BBQ seasoning
- 1 1/2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp green onions divided
- 1 - 1/2 cups crushed pretzels
- 1 slice White cheddar or string cheese
- Using a mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until creamy.
- Add in the BBQ seasoning, BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese, and half the green onions. Mix until well combined.
- Place mixture onto a sheet of plastic wrap and press into the shape of a football. If the mixture is too soft, place in the refrigerator to chill first before shaping.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and place onto serving plate. Gently cover with crushed pretzels, pressing gently to help the pieces stick. (It's OK if some fall off as your're coating the ball, just brush them away when done.
- Cut cheese into laces and place on top of cheese ball.