With only 5 ingredients, this hot Beer Cheese Dip makes an easy appetizer for a game day, party or potluck.
There are a few variations of this recipe around, but they typically call for this dip to be served cold. I do like it cold as well, but actually prefer to treat this as a warm dip and bake it in the oven.
Even if you don’t like beer, you should still give this hot beer cheese dip a try. I’m not a huge beer fan myself (I like my wine or cider these days) . However, I love this dip and I have had lots of friends who like this, but don’t like beer at all.
Tips and Tricks
Shred your own cheese
If you have time, I do suggest shredding your own cheese as I think it tastes better. If you are in a pinch or don’t care to shred your own, bag cheese will still work just fine.
I have made this lots of times for tailgates. I make the dip at home the night before, put it in an aluminium pan, and throw it on the grill on low heat for about 20 minutes. The grill adds a wonderful, slightly smokey flavor.
Other great tailgate or game day recipes:
- BBQ Pretzel Football Cheese Ball
- Pizza Dip
- Rotel Dip with Ground Beef
- Crock Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wing Dip
You can use your favorite brand/type of beer for this recipe. I use a darker beer so more of the flavor will come through. I typically use Shiner Bock, but Guinness is also one of my favorites to use.
Ranch dressing mix is a dry mix of seasoning used to make salad dressing. It is not already prepared salad dressing.
You can usually find this in a small packet near the bottled salad dressings. You can also use a homemade ranch mix. If using homemade, I suggest starting out with 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp and then tasting to see if you need to add more.
You can make this dip a day ahead, store in the fridge and then pop in the oven before serving.
You can also throw the mixed dip into a slow cooker in the fridge and then heat when ready.
Pretzels are my favorite thing to dip into this, but chips, veggies or crackers would also work great.
Adapted slightly from: Lady Behind the Curtain
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 – Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Step 2 – Using a stand or hand mixer, whip the cream cheese until creamy.
Step 3 – Mix in packet of ranch dressing mix.
Step 4 – Slowly add in the beer until incorporated.
Step 5 – Stir in shredded cheese.
Step 6 – Spread into a small baking dish and heat in oven.
Beer Cheese Dip
- 2 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened
- 1 1 oz package ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2/3 cup beer (preferably a darker beer)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Add in ranch dressing packet and mix to combine.
- Continue mixing and slowly add in the beer.
- Stir in shredded cheese.
- Spread dip mixture into a small casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes or until the dip is heated through.
Crock Pot Instructions
- Make dip according to instructions above. Add dip mixture to a slow cooker.
- Heat on high for 1 hour or until warm. Stirring occasionally.