With only 5 ingredients, this hot Beer Cheese Dip makes an easy appetizer for a game day, party or potluck.
There are a few variations of this recipe around, but they typically call for this dip to be served cold. I do like it cold as well, but actually prefer to treat this as a warm dip and bake it in the oven.
Even if you don’t like beer, you should still give this hot beer cheese dip a try. I’m not a huge beer fan myself (I like my wine or cider these days) .
However, I love this dip and I have had lots of friends who like this, but don’t like beer at all.
Tips and Tricks
Shred your own cheese
If you have time, I do suggest shredding your own cheese as I think it tastes better. If you are in a pinch or don’t care to shred your own, bag cheese will still work just fine.
You can use your favorite brand/type of beer for this recipe. I use a darker beer so more of the flavor will come through.
I typically use Shiner Bock, but Guinness is also one of my favorites to use.
I have made this lots of times for tailgates. I make the dip at home the night before, put it in an aluminium pan, and throw it on the grill on low heat for about 20 minutes.
The grill adds a wonderful, slightly smokey flavor.
Other great tailgate or game day recipes:
- BBQ Pretzel Football Cheese Ball
- Pizza Dip
- Rotel Dip with Ground Beef
- Crock Pot Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wing Dip
Pretzels are my favorite thing to dip into this, but chips, veggies or crackers also work great.
Ranch dressing mix is a dry mix of seasoning used to make salad dressing. It is not already prepared salad dressing.
You can usually find this in a small packet near the bottled salad dressings.
You can also use a homemade ranch mix. If using homemade, I suggest starting out with 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp and then tasting to see if you need to add more.
You can make this dip a day ahead, store in the fridge and then pop in the oven before serving.
You can also throw the mixed dip into a slow cooker in the fridge and then heat when ready.
Adapted slightly from: Lady Behind the Curtain
Step 1 – Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Step 2 – Using a stand or hand mixer, whip the cream cheese until creamy.
Step 3 – Mix in packet of ranch dressing mix.
Step 4 – Slowly add in the beer until incorporated.
Step 5 – Add cheese to bowl
Step 6 – Stir in the cheese
Step 6 – Spread into a small baking dish and heat in oven.
Beer Cheese Dip
- 2 8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened
- 1 1 oz package ranch dressing mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2/3 cup beer (preferably a darker beer)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Add in ranch dressing packet and mix to combine.
- Continue mixing and slowly add in the beer.
- Stir in shredded cheese.
- Spread dip mixture into a small casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes or until the dip is heated through.
Crock Pot Instructions
- Make dip according to instructions above. Add dip mixture to a slow cooker.
- Heat on high for 1 hour or until warm. Stirring occasionally.