‘Tis the season for eggnog or better yet, chocolate eggnog. Or how about a chocolate eggnog dip?
This Christmas dip recipe combines the flavor of chocolate with traditional holiday eggnog. I must say that I’ve never been an eggnog fan. I’m sure it has to do with the fact that egg is the main ingredient in eggnog (well besides the alcohol). I don’t eat a lot of eggs and when I do, they pretty much need to be scrambled with cheese and lots of black pepper. I will occasionally eat a deviled egg or two, but that is stretching it.
So what do you do with eggnog when you’re not an egg lover? Well, add chocolate of course 🙂 It is like the adult version of chocolate milk. I was walking around World Market a few weeks ago and saw a carton of chocolate eggnog. That gave me the idea for this chocolate eggnog dip.
Even if you are not an eggnog lover, you should still give this dessert dip a try. It is easy to make, can be made ahead of time, and is great to snack on while sitting by the Christmas tree.
This chocolate eggnog dip goes great with ginger cookies (I love the mini gingerbread men cookies from Trader Joe’s…they taste awesome and are super cute), but would also go well with vanilla wafers, graham crackers, or fruit.
Chocolate Eggnog Dip
- 1 8-oz block of cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup eggnog
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp rum extract optional, sub vanilla extract if you don't like a strong rum flavor
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and powdered sugar using a mixer.
- Add in cocoa powder, nutmeg, and rum extract and mix until well combined.
- Add in eggnog and mix until incorporated.
- Chill in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.