Cool, mint dessert tastes just like grasshopper pie, but in an easy dip recipe. This Grasshopper Pie Dip is perfect for St. Patrick’s day, a Christmas dessert or anytime of year party or potluck.
Today is Chocolate Mint Day! Didn’t know chocolate mint had an official day? Don’t worry, neither did I, but it does according to The US National Confectioners Association and this grasshopper pie dip recipe is my contribution to the special occasion. Now the really funny thing is that I already had this blog post written and ready to post tonight when I learned about Chocolate Mint Day. No kidding! I love when things like that happen 🙂
Anyway, next month is St. Patty’s day and I am definitely looking forward to March 17. It’s a fun reason to eat, drink, wear green, and pinch people, but I have another reason this year. St. Patrick’s day will mean that we are well into the month of March and (hopefully) spring will be just around the corner. We’ve had snow here recently and it has been way too cold for my liking. I’m training for a 10k and have only run outside twice in the last month due to the weather. I’m so over the cold!
OK, so back to the fun Irish celebration. Here is a perfect dip to serve at your St Patty’s day party. This grasshopper pie dip is pretty much just that- a grasshopper pie in a dip. Very simple, but it is sooooo amazingly good! Cool, minty, chocolaty, and refreshing are just a few words that describe this really easy dessert dip.
Grasshopper pie is usually served in a chocolate or Oreo pie crust. I love Oreo cookie crusts so I decided to add the crust to the dip! Yep, that’s right! I blended Oreos and butter just like you would to make a pie crust :). If you want a brighter green color, you can add a a few drops of food coloring to get the desired color.
This recipe does use crème de menthe alcohol. If you do not care to use alcohol, you should be able to substitute 1 tsp of mint extract and a few drops of green food coloring although as a disclaimer, I have not tested this out.
You will want to make this grasshopper pie dip the night before to allow it time to chill. Serve straight from the fridge with chocolate wafers, Oreos, or chocolate graham crackers. This recipe makes a lot of dip so there may be some leftover. I find the leftover grasshopper pie dip goes really well with a bowl and a big spoon 🙂
Originally published February 19, 2014. Updated March 3, 2018.
How to make Grasshopper Pie Dip
Grasshopper Pie Dip- Easy Mint Dessert
- 1 8 oz block of cream cheese, softened
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup green creme de menthe
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 oreo cookies
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a blender or food processor, blend together the cookies and melted butter until small crumbs are formed. Divide the crumbs into 2 equal parts. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with a mixer until creamy. Slowly add in the condensed milk and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, add the heavy cream and creme de menthe. Whip until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the dip mixture. Then fold in half the cookie crumbs.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight. Serve chilled.
- Before serving, top with the extra cookie crumb mixture.