In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I have a fun twist on margarita chicken with this Crock Pot Margarita Chicken Dip. This is an easy slow cooker dip recipe inspired by the flavors of lime, tequila, and orange. Cinco de Mayo is a great day to enjoy some Mexican cuisine, but who really needs an excuse to kick back with a margarita and some tortilla chips? I could do this at least once a week!
This crock pot margarita chicken dip is as simple as throwing some ingredients in a crock pot, turning it on, and stirring it a few times. What could be easier? You can pre-cook and shred the chicken yourself or buy a rotisserie chicken from the store. The same goes for the Pico de Gallo topping. Make your own Pico or buy it, it’s really up to you. The Pico adds a wonderful pop of color on top of the dip and and compliments the flavors in the dip so nicely.
I do have to give my friend Anne props for coming up with the Pico idea! I made this the first time without it and we both agreed it needed a garnish- the Pico is perfect! It is like two dips in one- chicken dip meets salsa!
The great folks over at Food Should Taste Good sent me a variety of tasty tortilla chips to accompany a Cinco de Mayo themed dip. I served this one with their blue corn, lime, and cantina chips. The lime ones were my favorite with the crock pot margarita chicken dip, but the other two were excellent choices as well. Food Should Taste Good chips are GMO free and can typically be found in the organic chip section of your local supermarket and can also be ordered on Amazon .
And since this dip screams warm weather and sitting out on the patio, you’ll be able to enjoy this crock pot margarita chicken dip all summer long. It makes a great appetizer for those backyard cookouts and summer gatherings.
Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Tortilla chips featured in this blog post were courtesy of Food Should Taste Good. All content and opinions are my own.
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cups chicken, cooked and shredded (a rotisserie chicken works well)
- 2½ cups Monterrey jack cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup tequila
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Small container of Pico de Gallo (store bought or homemade)
- Tortilla chips
- Cut the cream cheese into small cubes (approximately 1 inch) and layer across the bottom of a medium sized crock pot.
- Spread the shredded chicken over top of the cream cheese and cover with shredded cheese. Add the remaining ingredients to the crock pot. Turn the crock pot on high, cover, and heat for about an hour or until the dip is heated through. Stir the dip several times as it is warming up to mix the ingredients together and keep the bottom from browning.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips and top with Pico de Gallo.