5 ingredient Christmas peppermint dip made with real candy canes. This candy cane dip will be a festive addition to your holiday party spread.
This makes an easy, no bake peppermint dessert and has a wonderful peppermint flavor. Serve in a holiday bowl or serving dish, add some crushed peppermint to the top, and you have a fun and festive dessert dip that is so simple to make.
This will also be a great way to use up all those left over candy canes after Christmas is over.
Here are some other great holiday dip ideas:
Tips and Tricks
Crushing the candy canes
Crushing the peppermint is really the hardest part of this recipe, but it can also be quite fun 🙂
I place the candy canes in a freezer bag, cover with a towel (some candy cane dust will come through the bag), and beat into tiny pieces using a meat tenderizer. You can also hit with a rolling pin or regular old hammer.
You can also use a food processor or blender to crush the candy canes.
Yes, this can be made a day ahead and stored in the fridge.
If you do make ahead, then give it a good stir before serving as the crushed candy canes can separate a bit and sort of crystallize. Stirring will allow the dip to regain it’s texture.
For dipping, I like chocolate wafers or Oreo cookies, but graham crackers are great too. You could even serve this as a fruit dip with some strawberries.
Step by Step Instructions
- Use a mixer (handheld or stand) to whip the cream cheese until fluffy
- Then add in the sugar and vanilla
- Add the crushed candy canes to the bowl
- Add cool whip to bowl and fold in along with the candy canes
Peppermint Candy Cane Dip
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes (about 12 candy canes)
- 8 oz cool whip
- Using a mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until combined and creamy.
- Fold in crushed candy canes and cool whip until incorporated.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.