Easy 5 ingredient Christmas dip made with real candy canes. This peppermint candy cane dip will be a festive addition to your holiday party spread.
*Photos and post updated 11/20/2018. Originally posted 12/24/2013.
Merry Christmas Eve! I really wanted to post this recipe earlier this month, but the chaos of holiday gatherings, shopping, and Christmas prepping took over and time got away from me. So if you need a really last minute recipe idea, then try out this peppermint candy cane dip.
This will also be a great way to use up all those left over candy canes after Christmas is over. Or you can save it to your list to make next year!
This makes a great Christmas dessert and has a wonderful peppermint flavor. Serve in a holiday bowl or serving dish, add some crushed peppermint to the top, and you have a fun and festive dessert dip that is so simple to make.
Tips for making peppermint candy cane dip
Can you make candy cane dip ahead of time?
Yes, this can be made a day ahead and stored in the fridge. If you do make ahead, then give it a good stir before serving as the crushed candy canes can separate a bit and sort of crystallize. Stirring will allow the dip to regain it’s texture.
How to crush candy canes?
Crushing the peppermint is really the hardest part of this recipe, but it can also be quite fun 🙂
I place the candy canes in a Ziplock freezer bag, cover with a towel (some candy cane dust will come through the bag), and beat into tiny pieces using a meat tenderizer. You can also hit with a rolling pin or regular old hammer.
What to serve peppermint dip with?
For dipping, I like these chocolate wafers or Oreo cookies, but graham crackers are great too. You could even serve this as a fruit dip with some strawberries.
How to make Peppermint Candy Cane Dip
- Use a mixer (handheld or stand) to whip the cream cheese until fluffy
- Then add in the sugar and vanilla
- Add the crushed candy canes to the bowl
- Add cool whip to bowl and fold in along with the candy canes
- Chill until ready to serve
- That’s all there is to it!
Peppermint Candy Cane Dip
- 1 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes (about 12 candy canes)
- 8 oz cool whip
- Using a mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until combined and creamy.
- Fold in crushed candy canes and cool whip until incorporated.
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.