An easy, warm black bean dip is a recipe full of flavor. Ideal for a simple and delicious appetizer for a game day, party or potluck.
Isn’t this dip just gorgeous? I love it when food looks pretty in addition to tasting amazing too.
This dip is made with both cream cheese and sour cream for an extra flavorful and creamy dip. It’s not spicy, but has a ton of flavor and was an absolute hit with my friends.
If you want some other Mexican themed dips to make it a dip party, you may want to try my Rotel Dip with Ground Beef or my Margarita Chicken Dip recipe.
Tips and tricks
Rinse the black beans
Canned black beans can be salty so rinsing them helps ensure the dish doesn’t end up being too salty.
Mashing the beans
A potato masher works well and let’s you easily control the consistency that you’d like. You could also use a food processor if you desire.
Make ahead instructions
Just prepare dip per recipe and store in the fridge instead of heating immediately. Then just warm when ready to serve.
You can top with anything you like really. More beans, tomatoes, salsa, cilantro, cheese, corn, onions, jalapenos are all great options.
How long does this dip last?
The dip should last up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Can you reheat black bean dip?
Yes, I did and it tasted great!
Can you make black bean dip in a crock pot / slow cooker?
Yes, absolutely. Add mixed ingredients to a crock pot and heat on high for an hour or until the dip is warm and the cheese is melted. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Step 1: Mash the black beans to the desired consistency. I like leaving a few of them more on the whole side.
Step 2: Mix together the cream cheese, sour cream and spices.
Step 3: Add in beans and cheese and combine.
Step 4: Spread into a shallow baking dish (a pie dish works great for this) and bake in the oven
Step 5: Top with additional cheese and / or your favorite fixings.
Black Bean Dip
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- additional cheese
- additional black beans
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mash the black beans using a potato masher until the beans are coarsely mashed. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the remaining ingredients except for the cheese and beat with a mixer on low speed until combined.
- Fold in cheese and mashed beans.
- Spread evenly into a shallow baking dish and bake for 15 minutes or until the dip is heated through.
- If desired, add additional cheese and place in the oven to melt. Watch carefully and remove when melted.
- Add your favorite toppings and serve.